How To Choose The Right Size Dog Kennel For Your Pet
When you bring a new dog into your home, it’s a good idea to invest in a dog kennel. You may not like the idea of keeping your pet locked in a kennel for part of the day, but it is an important part of dog training. Your dog will soon grow used to the kennel and will likely enjoy the cozy, familiar space.
Before you purchase a dog kennel, you need to consider the size of your dog versus the size of the kennel. Choosing the right size can make all the difference to your dog’s comfort, as well as how effectively you can train your dog to use the kennel.
Dog Kennels Come In Standard Sizes
- Extra-Small: You can purchase an extra-small dog kennel for new puppies, but if you anticipate your dog will grow to a large size, you may want to buy a bigger kennel in advance. Extra-small kennels are suitable for small dogs like Terriers, Chihuahuas, Pomeranians, Shih Tzus, and similar-sized breeds.
- Small: Slightly larger than extra-small dog kennels, these measure about 30″ long, and are suitably sized for larger Terriers, Dachshunds, and other dogs that will grow to a weight range within 25-40 pounds.
- Medium: Ideally suited for dogs that will weigh within 40-70 pounds, such as Basset Hounds, Cocker Spaniels, and other dogs of that size.
- Large: The perfect size kennel for Labrador Retrievers, Collies, Golden Retrievers, Dalmatians, and large dogs of a similar size that will grow to weigh 70-90 pounds.
- Extra-large: This size is made for German Shepherds, Huskies, Greyhounds, and dogs that will weigh between 90-110 pounds.
- Giant: Suitable for very large breeds such as Saint Bernards, Great Danes, Mastiffs, and other large dogs.
Remember, your dog kennel should be large enough for your pet to comfortably stand in, turn and lie down. If the kennel appears too tight for your dog to do this, you need to get the next size. You can use your dog kennel for potty training your dog, and also lay down a comfortable pillow or blanket for the dog to sleep on.
For more information, contact Alpha Paws today and we’ll be happy to answer any questions you may have!