Why Dog Training Is So Important
If you have a new dog, whether it’s a puppy or full-grown, an effective dog training program will help you both. It will help set the rules and reinforce that you are the leader of the pack.
Perhaps best of all for both of you, when it’s done right, dog training can be a lot of fun and a source of bonding that can form the basis of a long relationship with your new family member.
Unfortunately, while most new dog owners understand the importance of training, they also make the same three basic mistakes with training:
- DIY Dog Training – While many dog owners are capable of properly training their dogs, too many look at it as a simple chore with little risk of making a mistake. Professional trainers see countless cases of dogs showing signs of, among other problems, anxiety, inability to be house-broken and chronic bad behaviour that are all the result of well-meaning dog owners doing their own dog training, but not doing it well.
- Teaching Tricks Instead Of Training – Too often, once a dog is house-broken, many pet owners feel if their dog can “sit” and “lie down” on command, then the training is done. Even if done well, trick training is not a complete dog training program. Your dog instinctively wants to know what is expected of him at all times, not just in response to commands.
- Training Is A Time-Limited Task – Even owners who take the time and care to thoroughly train their new dogs make the mistake of stopping the training once they feel the dog is fully trained. Dog training is not a stage in your pet’s life, but an ongoing basis for the relationship between pet and owner. Even the best-trained dogs can start exhibiting bad behaviour if training is not a constant in their lives.
Professional Dog Training
Not only is a properly trained dog going to be well-behaved and a source of pride for his owner, but he will be happier and healthier too. Training your dog properly from the start is very important and you should consider using a professional trainer to make sure it’s done right – and to show you how to keep training your dog properly.
Alpha Paws offers a variety of dog training options in Toronto and the GTA, so there is one that’s right for both you and your dog:
- Private One-on-One Lessons – Starting with basic obedience, and up to full off-leash training, Alpha Paws offers many levels of private training.
- Drop Off Program – Drop off your dog in the morning, pick him or her up in the evening, it’s that simple to have a well trained dog.
- Board and Train Programs – The ultimate in dog training, leave your dog with us for one of our comprehensive 5 or 10 day programs.
- Puppy Pre-School – Get your puppy’s training started properly