Common Questions About Owning a New Dog
Puppies are cute, but they are a huge responsibility as puppy training can be overwhelming. Whether you are new to owning a pet or an experienced pet parent, you may have several questions when you have a pet to look after. To make it easier and less confusing for you, we’ve put together a list of the ten most common questions along with their answers.
10 Frequently Asked Questions About Puppy Training
- How Should I Housebreak My Pup?
You need to be patient because, just like humans, a pup learns at their own pace. You can try crate-training them to help with potty training. Remember to take them out regularly as your puppy can only hold it for a limited time.
- What Will Happen at The First Veterinary Visit?
You can expect the following during your first visit to the vet:
- Checking your pup’s vitals.
- Gathering details about their health and vaccination history.
- Checking for intestinal parasites if you have a stool sample with you.
- Examining your pet for symptoms of any diseases.
- Administering the required vaccines.
Remember to ask your vet for advice regarding any concerns that you may have about your dog.
- When Is the Right Time to Take Them to The Dog Park?
Generally, you can take your pup to the park and introduce them to as many people and places as you want within the first three months. However, you must ensure that they have gotten the proper vaccines before taking them to any public places.
- When Should I Start with Puppy Training?
You can start with it as soon as you bring them home. You could begin with the following:
- Teaching them easy commands such as sit, stay, and no.
- Ensure that they don’t chew everything around them.
- Teach them to walk on a leash.
- Make them stop jumping up.
- You can opt for short and fun training sessions and practice reward-based techniques.
- Which Are the Proper Vaccinations for My Young Dog?
You must discuss and arrange a vaccination schedule for your dog with your vet and ensure that they get the four essential vaccines:
- Rabies virus which is a one-time vaccine.
- Canine distemper virus to protect them from various diseases.
- Canine adenovirus type 2 (CAV – 2) to prevent any respiratory diseases.
- Canine parvovirus to prevent common diseases.
- How Can I Prevent My Puppy from Chewing on Everything?
Chewing is a natural dog behaviour which is why you must puppy-proof your home. You should also give them toys to chew on and get them used to their crate. While you are at it, teach them the ‘drop’ command as well.
- When Should I Spay or Neuter My Dog?
These are the general surgical procedures performed on your pet to avoid unwanted offspring. The best time to neuter your pup is before they reach sexual maturity, i.e., typically around 5-6 months. Consult your vet for more information.
- Why Should I Groom My Dog?
Grooming is more about keeping your pet clean and healthy rather than focusing on their physical appearance. You must introduce them to the routine including bathing, trimming their nails, and brushing their fur at an early age to make them comfortable with it. Try keeping the lessons short and offer praise and treats.
- How Big Will My Pup Grow?
The size of your dog depends on their breed and predicting their size might be trickier if you have a mix-breed. Male dogs are typically bigger than the females.
- How Much Should I Feed My Dog?
The quantity and type of food to give your pup generally depends on its digestibility and the nutrient content. Additionally, it also depends on the size of your dog. It is always best to ask your vet’s opinion and follow their instructions to avoid overfeeding your pet.
Proper Puppy Training is Essential
At Alpha Paws, we emphasize proper conduct and demeanour in pets. Enroll your dog in our puppy training program to help them develop an excellent foundation and form a great relationship with your dog that can last for years. For more information, you can get in touch with us by calling 1-877-868-5248 (PAWS).